Dunlop Racing 5-Stud
Vintage Dunlop Racing 5 Stud
Vintage Racing Tires
- The Dunlop Racing 5-Stud is one of the only genuine pre war vintage racing tires still in production.
- The only other genuine pre war racing tire produced today is the Pirelli Stella Bianca.
- The 5-Stud Dunlop Racing tire was developed in 1934.
- The previous Dunlop 3-Stud tire of 1924 was only really suited to racing on loose surfaces, hence the improved better structured tread of the 5-Stud.
- Initially vintage racing took place on loose surface public roads, which by the mid 1930s were now predominantly Tarmacadam.
- Through out the 1920s on concrete banked vintage race tracks like Brooklands and Montlhery ribbed tires were often used.
- Today Dunlop’s vintage racing tire range is very limited in the 5-stud tread pattern with just 5.00-19 and 6.00-19 vintage racing tire sizes of the 1920s.
- Other vintage racing tire sizes of the 1930s by Dunlop; 7.00-19, 5.50/6.00-18 & 7.00-18 are made in the Dunlop Racing R1 tread pattern of 1946.
- Worth noting that in some sizes these vintage racing 5-Stud tires were still in common use in post war racing in the 5-stud tread pattern.
- All of Dunlops vintage racing tires in 19” and 18” for pre war cars are road legal.
- All vintage racing tire, including the Dunlop Racing 5 – Stud tires should be used with inner tubes.
Dunlop Racing 5 Stud
Vintage Racing Tires Dunlop 5 Stud
Dunlop Pre War Racing Tires
Dunlop Racing 5-Stud a genuine 30's tread pattern used though until the 1950s. The 5 – stud wan an improvement of the earlier 3 stud tread pattern of 1924. The earlier 3-stud tread pattern is not very good on tarmac road surfaces- All of Dunlops range of 5-stud tires are road legal though they do need to be fitted with innertubes.
A: Yes. The Dunlop Racing 5 – stud are genuine pre war vintage racing tires from 1930’s made in 1920s sizes. The R1 Dunlop Racing tires of 1946 are also made in pre war sizes for vintage racing cars.